Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Tennis anyone???


I went to Louisville over Memorial Day weekend for a tennis tournament. I played lefty in a tournament for the first time. I really didn't know what to expect. Especially since I was playing with my new tennis rackets I got at the Northwestern fund raiser. I never expected Louisville to be such a nice city. It was pretty Green, with a great feel to it. The nightlife sucked though. I entered the tournament in the "D" division (the lowest level). I won the first 3 matches even though some of the people had better ground strokes than I did, but I think because I have played for a while, and knew how to construct points, I had the upper hand. My first two matches were 6-0 6-1. The 3rd match was 6-1, 6-1. All of that changed in the semi-finals. I played a GIANT of a person. What seemed to work so effectively in the first 3 matches was backfiring on me. He took the first set 6-2. I changed tactics in the 2nd set, and beat him 6-2. By the 3rd set, we were both exhausted. I won 6-3 in the third. The finals, the next day, I won 6-2, 6-0.

Where'd she go?


Who knew? After one of the most successful years in women's tennis, my favorite player would hang up her tennis shoes. Finding another Justine will be impossible. My 5'5" 125 lb. Justine was a warrior who played her best tennis with her back against the wall. The combination of reconciling with her family, a third Roland Garros title (without dropping a set in all three), and winning the US open (beating fat ass Serena first, and then her sister Venus ) seemed to take it's toll. The fist pumps and the "ALLEZ" will be forever missed.

No comments: